Tuesday, February 14, 2012

in the midst of the hospital ward

as i begin to process through the last month there were so many teachable moments the Lord used to show me in caring for my dad. i'll be honest, i didn't really think i could learn lessons and gain so much from spending hours upon hours in the hospital ward. but i did. i learned so much in a short amount of time. and i feel privileged to have gone through it and now get to share my experience as i sat at the bedside of my sick father. 

the hardest part about sharing moments is trying to figure out where to start? so i'm just going to jump in...

after my dad had a stroke on new years eve, our "new normal" begin. my siblings and mom all rallied together to rotate through on who would be staying the night with dad at the hospital and then at the rehab facility. some may think it was an obligation or the last thing we would want to do. however, it was quite the opposite. we eagerly looked forward at our "nights" with dad. being together was all we really cared about. i began looking forward to every minute i had with dad, no matter what time of day it was. these were cherished moments that i will always hold with me.

as we came to know the system of the hospital and when the nurses would be coming to check vitals, give meds, or even when they would have shift change. i learned how important it was to ASK about everything. most commonly we would ask the nurses, "what are you giving him now?" or "what are you checking on?" we had some situations that they were about to give my dad the wrong meds. ;) so we learned it's important to ask. it's important to know what all is happening. so we were not afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly they might sound. we all wanted to get educated quickly on what all was taking place with my dad so that we could care for him the best we knew how. 

each day came and went. we became better at knowing what my dad needed and wanted. his speech became more difficult to understand due to him not having the strength to push out oxygen. so we became his translator. we became his mediator. to the nurses, doctors, therapists, family and friends who came to visit. and though it was challenging, it was quite the joy and honor to be my dad's advocate. to stand in the gap for him. to be his voice. to serve him in that way. to be his spokesperson and fight for him each day until the Lord took him home. 

so as i look back at the circumstances. the Lord was showing me and teaching me to be an advocate. i realize that is exactly what i desire to be for those in africa. for those who can't speak for themselves. for those who are sick. who are hurting. who are afraid. who need someone to stand in the gap on their behalf. i am grateful that the Lord took me and placed me in a unique situation to learn what i've desired to do for others. never did i think i would learn this lesson in midst of caring for my dad as we neared his passing. but i praise God for using every opportunity to prepare me for His purposes! 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

beautiful. love you.