Sunday, July 13, 2008

Hello from Zambia...

Muli Bwanji !
I can't believe this is my 3rd day to be in Zambia because it sure feels like I have been here for a week already. There have been so many things I have done already that I am not even sure where to start...

Layover in London.

Well London was great! The weather was not all that beautiful. It was rainy all day, but that didn't stop me from getting to hang out with my friend (Ms. B-Mayes) who is interning there for the summer. She met me at the tube station and we went to lunch and then back to her apartment. She was so wonderful in letting me take a little nap. I was already feeling the jet lag, but the worst part about the first part of the plane ride was that I was literally surrounded by kids. haha..two infants in front of me and 2 screaming toddlers behind me. It was a LONG plane ride for sure!! Anyways, I was able to get a little rest before jumping on my next flight to Lusaka. At that flight I met up with some other people heading to Camp Life. During the second leg, I caught up on some much needed sleep!

Father's Heart (July 11-12).

The past couple of days I have been able to be apart of this program called 'The Father's Heart'. It is for those who have been sponsoring a child throughout the year for $36/month. On friday, July 11, we took a tour of Lusaka, went to a compound called Destiny and played with some precious kids. Most of them have been to Camp Life, but some of them haven't. Every Friday they have PE day so we got to join them. It was so refreshing to finally be back with the Zambian kids. Sometimes you don't really realize how much "Muzungus" (white people) stick out. It's hilarious because they will just stare at you and play with your hair. They just ran up to all of us and showed us all around. Some of them spoke english and some of them did not. I love the challenge of trying to speak in their language. I have been working on it and will hopefully be able to speak better in the next few days.

After we played with the kids outside we went inside to their school to sing songs and eat bread. Once we finished there, we left to go buy Chitengas, which are wraps for the women to wear. All the women were required to buy one to have for the next day to go into their compounds and villages. Wearing a Chitenga is to respect and honor the males. It is proper to wear one. Anyways, while we were in the store I left my backpack in the bus and somehow a guy reached in and took my backpack. It literally had everything in it..from my passport, to my money, to both my cameras and more. Our sweet bus driver chased after him and got it back, but the guy took my video camera. It was so crazy. I was upset and frustrated, but it definitely could have been worse for sure. So praise the Lord for Samuel who ran after the guy. We then headed to a museum and then back to our hotel where we stayed for the first couple of days.

Visiting the Compounds. (Saturday, July 12)

This day was my favorite so far!! We got to go back to the compound where the children lived. My kids that I had last summer all lived in Kamanga Community. We took so many things to them and their families. We went to the grocery store and bought : Millimet, sugar, cooking oil and salt. We also got enough subway sandwiches for every family member. Once we got all our supplies we loaded up in small vans with Zambian translators and headed to the compounds. My heart was so anxious to get there to see my girls from last summer.

Our first stop was at Emily and Christabell's house. They ran down the road and jumped in my arms. It was so good to see them. They both seem like they are doing great and they look health, which has been a big concern of mine. We went into their house and met the rest of the family which included 12 family members all living in one house. I don't know about you, but that would be a tight squeeze. I loved seeing them talk about it because they were so close and never complained. We gave Emily and Christabell crayons, color books, headbands, bracelets, and a small bag of other fun things for them to use. They were so happy that we were there and to be given all of those things.

Once we left there, we headed to Evet's house. I was curious to see Evet because she seemed very sad at Camp Life last summer. When we got to her house, I couldn't hardly believe what she was surrounded by. First of all, it was a very busy part of town and there was coal everywhere. In parts of Lusaka, a lot of people will work coal as a job. Well it was all over the ground and most of people were walking around barefoot. It made me so sad to think that they couldn't do anything about it, but just had to deal with the conditions. Anyways, when we were walking up to her house she ran out to greet me. It was so cute to see what she had on. She was wearing a beautiful top and a hat. When sponsors come to visit them, all of the children know you are coming so they will usually put on their best clothes. She was smiling ear to ear when she saw me. Her living arrangements where a bit worse. She lived in a 9 x 9 clay house and had a sheet seperating her mom's side. They were so welcoming and laid out a mat for us to sit on. We gave Evet the same materials as the other's. Her precious mom was in there and we got to talk about how this program has helped her. We also discussed her relationship with the Lord. She is a new believer and came to the know the Lord in April. As I was talking with her you could tell she was craving to know more about God's word, but no one was there to be constantly pouring into her. She wanted to be able to teach and minister to Evet (her daughter) but she told us that she does not have a bible. The only bible they had was in Bembe (another language spoken) but she couldn't read. My heart dropped when I found that out. I am trying to figure out a way to bring bibles to all the families there. One of the things that the translator asked me was to give a word of encouragement to their family. I wasn't sure what to say on the spot, but the Lord lead me to speak truth's over them. Once we talked I had the privledge to pray over them before we left. They were so hospitable and generous. I did not want to leave them, but wanted to stay and have fellowship with that family. Please be praying for Evelyn (the mom) and Evet. They need individuals in their life to disciple and encourage them in the word!

The last stop was to see Natas. She had lots of family members as well. They were all waiting for us to get there. The only thing about Natas was that she remained quiet the entire time we were there. We gave her the same gifts and provided food for the family. We talked about a lot of things, but one thing that hit me the most was when the family asked me when I would be coming back to visit them? At that moment, I thought I wish I lived here so that I could be able to pour into this family. They all want to know more about Christ but very few people are out in the communities telling them.

I feel so honored to be here and I want to tell you all thank you again for supporting me! God's word has to go out and clearly these people need it so desperately!! Please pray for more conversations with people who need to hear from God's word. I will be able to go back to Kamanga Community next weekend to see more girls. Pray that God would be so alive in me that they would see something different. Pray for the provisions of Bibles!!

To finish up this entry, I moved into the housing at Mulingushi and I'm staying with 12 girls. It reminds me so much of my college days. Anyways, we went to church this morning and this afternoon I will be getting my Zambian partner for the week. I can't wait!! Tomorrow morning I will be given a group of kids that I get to love in for 5 days. Please pray this week for God to move in ways that can't be seen. These kids need to know that He is their Shepherd!!

Love you all and I will post again when I get a moment! We tend to stay pretty busy here!

Feel free to send emails or comment. I would love to hear from you!

Tizo naona...

Loving His Kids,
Joy

ps-if you couldn't tell, I love being here in Zambia!!

**I will add pictures later! Ran out of time! **

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy, Joy, Joy!! The angels are singing and so am I!! I am sooo thankful the Lord called you to be in Zambia at this time for these kids. I know you are sharing His joy through "His Joy!" Know that I love you and am praying for you. I'll be listening for His prompt to pray. I love you, Judy

Anonymous said...

So glad to know you are doing ok!!! Love you so much and am praying. Can't wait to hear from you again. Love, JJ

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Praise! Joy it is so refreshing to read your updates. May you continue to experience sweet fellowship with Jesus, as you share His love with those kids!