Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shopping Day in Soweta Market

So as week 5 is now in full swing I have been continuing to focus in on building up our Community Resource Centers (CRC) and prepare them for kids.  That is what day consisted of and it’s so amazing at the end of the day to know that 2 more children were rescued from their household. I went to the CRC to prep the home and then moved around to other compounds. As the day went on I went around to several markets to purchase food for the CRC’s that already have kids living in them and then for another one to open today. My driver, Gilbert, and I went to Soweta Market. It is close to the Kanyama compound. So the best way I can describe it is that it’s a small road, full markets on either side, hundreds and hundreds of people all around walking. Driving around is even difficult because there are so many people. Anyways, my driver pulled over and said, “okay, we go”. I asked him several times, “here? We are going from here??” He just laughed and said yes. It was just crazy that we would stop basically in the middle of the street, in the midst of so many people, and in the craziness of the market.

 Once I arranged my money in my backpack we were off. We didn’t get that far because as soon as I stepped out of the car I heard so many voices saying Muzungu (white person), ewe (you), or hey mommie. I felt like a celebrity because they all wanted me to do was come to their table to buy something. Thank goodness for Gilbert. He was amazing! We had a list and just worked a little at a time in getting everything. We got so many things: beans, groundnuts, kapenta (small fish), onions, tomatoes, cabbage, and big dried fish. Once we finished there, we went to a grocery store and finished the rest. The challenged of the whole day was staying under budget….but we managed and did it!! J

After all of that was completed, we headed off to the CRC’s…first was Ibex. We got there just in time when 2 new girls arrived. It was so much! We brought all this food in and I got to pray with them. To see the day come full circle in that at the beginning there was an empty room with mattresses leaning against the wall to having 2 beautiful girls sitting on their beds that were made for them!! I am praising the Lord for the work He is doing! There is now so much hope for these girls and it only took one person to be a voice for them!! We left there and dropped the food off at 2 other CRC’s. I love being able to bring a blessing of food for these kids and the Discipleship Leaders that live there.

Pray for:

-Time Management

-Rest

-Strength and Energy everyday

-Discernment in decisions

-Diligence 

No comments: