Monday, November 3, 2008

WHAT A WEEKEND...

So...lets just say that God is soo good!! My weekend was filled with so many great things that just thinking about it makes me excited!! This weekend was Baylor's Homecoming and every year there are lots of activities going on...Pigskin, Bonfire, Parade, and the game. Along with the activities, so many alumni come back in to have reunions and boy did I have them...

Thursday afternoon I drove down to Waco and I met up with one of my dearest friends, Kaitlyn Amos. I had the privilege of discipling her throughout my senior year of college. We attended Pigskin that night with her family and roommates. (To those who don't know what Pigskin is..it's basically a mini-Broadway show that Greek organizations actually perform in the Spring..called "Sing" and the top 8 acts out of 20 will perform again during Homecoming). It's a really big deal and I was involved in as many performences as possible! Haha..I'm sure you can imagine... I'm not a singer or dancer, but being able to do all of that with some of your greatest friends is so much fun!! Anyways, Kaitlyn and I watched all the performances and then headed back to her place.*Kaitlyn and I at Pigskin

During the day on Friday, I had lunch with Kaitlyn before she left for her soccer game in Austin. Later on I would meet up with my old roommates! Chelsea, Amber, Garland and I all lived together our Senior year. (Chelsea, Amber and I lived together for 3 years and Garland and I lived together for 2 years but all four of us lived together for 1). Anyways, I met them at our favorite Italian restaurant called Baris. It's a little hole in the wall!
*Chelsea, Me, Garland, and Amber at Baris!

My heart was so refreshed with being able to spend time with them. It's not that often that just us 4 girls can sit around and catch up. After we ate dinner we headed over to the Bonfire on campus. It is another Baylor Tradition...As we walked around we saw so many people we knew and again it was so great to get to see them all!! Chelsea, Amber and Garland all headed to Pigskin that night and I stayed around talking to some Chi Omegas in the show. I love getting to just talk with girls who I spent time with during college. Friday night I stayed at Johanna's house, another girl who I discipled throughout college.
*Johanna and I at the bonfire!

Saturday morning was the Homecoming breakfast for Chi Omega. All of the current members and Alumni get to have some time together in the morning reminiscing on memories. I loved this!! A lot of my favorite people were all in the same room for the first time in a while. Some of those I saw included: Paige Baten-Locke and her daughter Katie-Leigh Baten (I met them in Zambia - picture below), Audra Peterson, Carly Christensen, Jerica Olson, Taylor Gift, Lauren Sherman, LM Hudson, my roommates of course, and many more...*Paige, Katie-Leigh, and I at the Chi Omega Breakfast Saturday Morning
(I met Paige and Katie-Leigh in Zambia this summer. We became so close throughout our time there.)

Once the breakfast was over, Chelsea, Amber and I headed over to the middle of campus to watch the parade. We had a good time sitting on the side of the road watching all the floats come by...
*Chels, Garland, Me and Amber at the parade!

Once the parade ended we grabbed one last meal together and then went our separate ways. On my way out of town I stopped by one of my favorite places...'Food for Thought' and said bye to Kaitlyn then off to Starbucks for a pick-me-up drink...just when I thought my weekend couldn't not have gotten better, the Lord blow me away at what would unfold...
*Kaitlyn and I at 'Food for Thought'

As I was waiting on my drink to be made in Starbucks I noticed an African American standing behind the counter and something inside of me told me to ask him where he was from. To make this long story short...this guy's name is Zaccheaus and he is from Lusaka, Zambia!!! I could not believe!! I got so excited that people started looking at me in Starbucks. I did not care...clearly...because I just met a ZAMBIAN!! I mean I thought I had to go to Zambia to hang out with Zambians but I guess you just have to go to your nearest Starbucks...haha..anyways, we sat for about 30 minutes before he invited me to come to his house and get 2 cd's that him and his group that he travels with made. I went over to the host family's house that he lives with and met another Zambian, named Alan. Their host Mom was there as well. Another fun aspect is that Nancy's daughter, Amanda, went to Camp LIFE!! Crazy of how small the world is!! So for the next hour and a half I hung out with them at their house. My heart was so happy to just spend time with those from the country I love!! I am hoping to see them again soon!! : )
*My two NEW Zambian friends in America!! (Alan, Me, and Zaccheaus)

So that was my crazy, busy, fun-filled weekend with so many great people!! Oh and I also went home to see my parents on Saturday. They are doing well! It was really great for me to see them too! Keep praying for my Dad to gain weight...he's down a few more pounds this week! :(

I am so thankful for everyone who I got to see and spend time with!! On another note, please be praying for me this week. I am working on about 4 - 5 projects at work and it's slightly overwhelming! Things are going great though...God is moving, Kids are being loved on, and souls are being saved!! Thanks again for all of your prayers! Love you all!

Loving Jesus,
Joy

1 comment:

Welcome To My Loud Life said...

Joy,

What a pleasure it is to see you, read your blog and feel your infectious love for the Lord. I am so proud to know you!

(I used to come to your house to teach you and Tully gymnastics in Keller. Do you remember? I was a year younger than J.J. and cheered with her on varsity.)

I love your blog! May God bless you as much as you bless others!

In Christ,
April (Wheat) Nohinek