Thursday, October 13, 2011

3 WEEK UPDATE!


I am now in my 3rd week of being here and almost finished my 2nd week of school with Graham. Last week when I started, the previous personal assistant (P.A) took me around and explained all that I needed to know. I was on my own after that…I felt like I went back to school because of attending all of Graham’s classes as well taking down additional notes. I have observed a lot of Graham’s learning style, his academic background & the expectations of the teachers. I guess you could say I am mending the gap between the two.

My day begins at 5:40am and ends usually around 10pm. We leave for school around 7:15am (it’s about a 25-30min commute) and the first bell rings at 8am. At 3pm the last bell rings and all the students head to after-school activities. We usually don’t end up leaving for home until 4:30/5pm. It varies daily depending on additional things that may come up. Shortly after we arrive home and unpacked from the car, we sit down for dinner. whew, what a day! :)

I am beginning to meet a lot of people my same age who are also in their first year at ISU. It has been so fun meeting those from all around the world. I look forward to building friendships and relationships as time goes on while developing a good community with them outside of school.

In addition to meeting people at school, I have been meeting a lot of volunteer ROWAN staff! Pastor Paul, David Wafula, Jim, and Ashley all play specific roles in the growing ministry of ROWAN. I feel so blessed to have met them and to work alongside each one as we step forward in the steps God gives us to take. Next week I will be heading to the village for a WEEK! From Oct 17-22 I will be meeting lots of children, widows, families, and staff. I will be observing the current projects and also doing a few as well. There is a huge event that will be launching soon so any time I can get up to the village will be a huge benefit in preparing for it! Tuesday night I met with Jim & Ashley and we decided that we will need to go to the village at the end of this month as well! So I will be going to the village again Oct 27-30!! Once we confirm a few things with the project I will announce it!! J I am beyond excited for ROWAN and I am blessed to be a part of it!

Everything else is going well! My body is still adjusting with food and such but it will get there..i hope! J I am gradually getting a feel for where things are and feeling more comfortable with moving around on bodas. It’s crazy what they can fit through…it’s definitely an adventure every time! From weaving in and out of cars, to riding down a busy sidewalk, to squeezing through trucks, to the busy nightlife..it’s a wild, yet fun ride!

I am so thankful to be here! My prayer is to continue to come with open eyes and an open heart to whatever God has! I pray I walk in confidence knowing who I am in Him and His leading wherever that may be!

Miss all of you on the other side!

joy

2 comments:

bekah brinkley said...

the other side misses you too!! so grateful that the Lord is encouraging you each day. love you so much!

Jan Janszen said...

Hey Joy. Great news . Praying for you as you go to the village this week. Also, praying for a breakthrough with Graham. He is fearfully and wonderfully made and God knows exactly what he needs for the light to turn on within him. Loved talking with you Sat.
Miss and love you, Mom. (Dad is having his tests done in Houston right now.)