Sunday, October 23, 2011

mawanga village: where do i begin...

you can't really imagine it unless you see with your very eyes. it is literally in the bush. off the beaten path. there are small groups of huts set in an opening of trees. only those who live there could tell you where someone lives. no signs. just dirt paths leading from one group of homes to another. i was either in one of ROWAN's vehicles or on a boda moving around. and as i went along i heard the word "muzungu" about a thousand times. it brought such joy to my heart when my eyes would meet the eyes of the children who were yelling at me. when i acknowledge them and yelled "jambo" (a simple way they greet each other; meaning hi or hello). they squealed. they laughed. and they smiled ear to ear. i seriously could have done that the whole day. :) seeing pure and innocent joy radiate from them is priceless! 

it’s a different pace of life out in the village. slow. simple. focusing on basic needs to live. there are people herding small groups of cattle. goats roaming. chickens everywhere. kids walking around. some playing. some crying. some running around either half naked or fully naked. you find adults working in the fields gardening or harvesting their fruit or vegetation. holes in the ground for toilets. bucket showers outside with water that was warmed up over the fire. no electricity. mud huts with thatched roofs. the local language of lusoga beautifully spoken. feeling the strong sun beat down. dirt all over my feet. on my hands. on my skin. learned to drink hot tea twice a day. rich conversations. relationships being built. that is what matters at the end of the day and in the midst of everything. embracing community and fellowship with one another. 

even though i was in the village for just a few days i was once again challenged. God is so gracious in how He teaches me. He is constantly sharpening me. refining me. and pressing down on me. less of myself and more of Him.  He is still showing me that i am sinful. and i am in need of Him. He is still showing me that this life He has given me is not about me but about Him. He is opening my eyes to see all i need is Him. to let go of things that don’t matter. to strip away everything else so Jesus alone remains.

“…i consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake i have lost all things. i consider them rubbish, that i may gain Christ and be found in Himi want to know christ…the power of his resurrection…the fellowship of sharing in suffering…becoming like him in death to be raised up (paraphrased the last part).” phil 3:8-9

one of my prayers has been for God to open my eyes to see. see the children. the widows. the families. whoever it is Lord, i want to see.  interestingly enough, as i was driving up with pastor david wafu (ROWAN staff), he made a statement to me that is so profound...

"instead of people going to share about jesus to others, 
they need to go and see Jesus! 
they need to see jesus in the children and in the people
…if you just look, you will see Him!”


i look forward to sharing with you more on all that took place in mawanga during the few days i was there. much love and blessings to you! 

No comments: